A home of endemic and endangered mammals, the Javan gibbon (Trachypithecus auratus) and the grizzled langur, Gunung Halimun Salak National Park covers a huge conservation area of 113,000 hectares. The park which is located in West Java is considered to be the largest remaining primary lowland forest in Java. It is also habitat for more than 200 bird species and 500 plant species. Kasepuhan is one the communities living in the park which still holds customary law tightly in their daily life. Their tradition is very attractive for visitors.
The park consists of several mounts which visitors can climb to. The height of the mount peak varies from 1,700 to 2,211 above sea level. Most of the mounts are covered by dense forest canopy. Therefore, mount climber must obey the rules declared by the park for safety reasons.
Other interesting objects are waterfalls. The park has several waterfalls scattered all over the park, such as :
- Cimantaja and Cipamulan Waterfalls, located at Cikiray Village, Cikidang Subdristrict, Sukabumi District.
- Piit (Cihanjawar), Walet and Cikudapaeh Waterfalls, located around Nirmala Tea Plantation.
- Citangkolo Waterfall, located at Mekarjaya Village, Kabandungan Subdistrict, Sukabumi District.
- Ciberang and Cileungsing Waterfalls, located around Leuwijamang Kampoong.
- Ciarnisah Waterfall, located around Cibedug Kampoong.
- At Mt. Salak there are several waterfalls, including: Cangkuang Waterfall (Cidahu); Pilung Waterfall (Girijaya); Cibadak Waterfall (Cijeruk); Citiis Waterfall (Ciapus); Nangka Waterfall (Taman Sari); Ciputri Waterfall (Tenjolaya); Cihurang, Cigamea, Ngumpet, and Seribu Waterfalls (Pamijahan), Cibeureum Waterfall (Jayanegara).
Ratu Crater which is located at the slope of Mt. Salak is another natural phenomenn attractive for visitors. Visitors must be very carefull as hazardous toxic gases may release from the crater.
Cikaniki Research Station is another interesting place to visit inside the park. Within this station there are canopy trail. The trail is about 100 meters in length and about 25 – 30 meters height from the forest floor. It is a kind of suspended bridge used as bird watching or nature interpretation.
Homestay is available at Cikaniki village and Sukagalih village. Visitors can stay here to learn the local culture.
Visitor activities :
Hiking, mount climbing, jungle tracking, camping, bird watching, flora and fauna sightseeing.
How to get there :
From Jakarta, take buses or taxi or railway to Bogor.
From Bogor you must drive to Kabandungan via Parungkuda.
Some waterfalls are located near Bogor so you do not have to go to Kabandungan.
Best time of year to visit: June to August
Jl. Raya Cipanas, Kabandungan, Sukabumi
Telp./Fax. : +62-266-621256
Website : www.tnhalimun.go.id
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org